Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saying Goodbye

My grandpa passed away this week- we are now heading up to Wisconsin for funeral services- here is the official obit from the Chicago Tribune:
John R. "Jack" Bresnahan, age 81, of Burlington, passed away Wednesday, July 2, 2008, at Burr Oak Manor in Genoa City. He was born Dec. 28, 1926, in Chicago, IL, to Timothy A. and Catherine, nee Guilfoyle, Bresnahan. John served in the United States Army. Jack worked as a greeter at WalMart until September of 2007 and was also a retired truck driver and a member of the 705 Union. Survivors include his loving wife, MaryAnne Bresnahan of Burlington; their children, Timothy (Carol)
Bresnahan of Florida, Patricia (Pat) Pastore of Arizona, Daniel Bresnahan of Minnesota and Mary Kay (Victor) Winandy of Illinois; 10 grandchildren; and eight great-grandsons. John was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, James Bresnahan. Funeral Services will be held on Monday, July 7, 2008, at 10:30 a.m. at St. Mary's Catholic Church with Rev. Jeff Thielen officiating. Burial will follow at So. WI Veterans Memorial Cemetery. Relatives and friends may visit with the family on Sunday, July 6, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m., at Schuette-Daniels Funeral Home & Crematory , 625 Browns Lake Dr., Burlington, WI 53105.
-----------------------------------------------------

These are some of the amazing things I will always remember about my grandpa- things that you can't print in the obit!!

*When I was little I didn't like to kiss him because his facial hair tickled my face

*He always had jokes to share- most of them were dirty, but I didn't realize that until I was older... "I once had a girlfriend with a wooden leg- her name was Peg"

*He loved animals- especially his sweet Irish Setter named Mick...and lots of kitties...
Poor Mick died a tragic death, being runover by a combine on the farm...it was awful- but at least now grandpa is back with his dog in heaven

*I never really knew what my grandpa's name really was...people called him John, Jack and everyone at "camp" called him Irish

*Every year- he took us to camp. For one week every summer until I was about 12 or so- we would pack up and head to Burlington, Wisconsin
Photobucket If you dare: http://www.sunrayhills.com
As a child- it really wasn't a bad place- we had so much fun, made so many friends and never thought twice about not being allowed to wear clothes in the pool....
But as I grew up- I thought it was very odd to watch my grandpa play volleyball.
I will never forget my high school graduation party- when he stated that he couldn't play volleyball with all of his clothes on...I got some strange looks....

*He took us to what I like to remember as "heaven on earth"...
Chocolate Fest- and it still continues today: http://www.chocolatefest.com/
I blame him for my chocolate addiction.

*For my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary, I interviewed them both- and was able to put together a movie with lots of old pictures. I'm so thankful that we had the chance to sit down and get all of his wit, humor and memories down on tape to treasure forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are right... I don't read your blog much... Brendan, Patrick and I get your rants in person...

This was very nice... :)