Monday, September 26, 2011

The Fall 2011 Television Season - Hits and Misses...

It's really my favorite time of the year...time for new television shows!

I do a fairly decent job of recording everything on tv at least once...give it a chance...and then decide if I'll record it again.

Warning tv show producers - you are judged on your pilot episodes!

 

Let's start with the brand new:

The Playboy Club:  Hated it.  Perhaps it's geared toward men?  I'm not so sure, but the story line was weak.  Writing was poor - it just didn't move for me.  Overall, I haven't seen many positives reviews.  I don't expect it to last long at all.

2 Broke Girls: LOVE THIS SHOW.  It's a new CBS sitcom.  Characters seemed real and believable.  A simple premise, girl in New York works at a diner.  Rich girl from a Madoff-like family losses everything and lies to get a job at the diner, but doesn't even know how to make coffee.  Comedy ensues.  This one could last, all depends on where they take these characters.

New Girl:  Not to be confused with 2 Broke Girls, New Girl is the big Fox comedy that they are banking on this season.  This new show stars Zooey Deschanel and has had a lot of pre-publicity.  It's funny, smart and exactly what you expect.  Sometimes, that's not a bad thing.

Up All Night: Perhaps the best new comedy of the season.  This new show stars Christina Applegate and Will Arnett.  Two of my favorite people in the television comedy world are paried together in this totally believable comedy about new parents trying to adjust to working life with baby.  This show has a very Modern Family feel.  If the writers can keep up, this show could be around for a long time.  And I love Maya Rudolph!

Free Agents:  This comedy has potential, but walks a fine line to me.  This NBC sitcom stars Hank Azeria.  Now, I LOVE him in The Simpsons.  He's a comedy genius...but only when you don't see him.  He's pretty much ruined every other movie that he's been in.  Night at the Museum 2?? Terrible performance!  I was worried about him in this show, but so far, so good! Funny, good characters, so we'll see where this goes!

Charlie's Angels:  I thought the first episode was terrible.  I actually deleted it off the DVR about 20 minutes in.  Perhaps it wasn't a fair shake, but I couldn't take it anymore.  Not sure how long I expect this one to be on the air!

Whitney:  I think Whitney Cummings is hilarious.  I want this show to be successful...I think.  It's in 30 Rock's spot right now, so not sure what's going to happen there once the schedule shakes out.  I like the characters in this show, but the comedy seems a little forced.  I'm not sure if I like the "this show is filmed before a live studio audience" thing, but it has potential.

Pan Am: I think this is my big surprise show of the season.  I watched the first five minutes and was hooked.  Once the show was over, I looked back over the credits and realized why I loved it so much.  Two words: Thomas Schlamme.  

My new favorite show this year is not a prime-time show at all...it's daytime baby!

Anderson:  Cooper Anderson gets his own television show and I declare it a success! It's funny, honest, and he's managed to get some big names on his show in such a short time!  PLUS, I love that Kathy Griffin is on a lot so far.  She makes him so uncomfortable, and it's hilarious to watch him squirm.

Still waiting to see ABC's Suburgatory, that will air on Wednesday.  Also looking forward to How to be a Gentleman, which airs Thursday on CBS.  That will go against Parks and Recreation, which is pretty damn awesome.

Next time we'll talk about what I've taken off my DVR list....like Desperate Housewives.  And some of my favorite returning shows, like The Good Wife.  And what do you guys think about Grey's Anatomy these days?

Discuss...what are your favorites? What should I be watching that I'm not?

No comments: