Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I'm really thankful for this Thanksgiving

I'm thankful for what I've lost.

There are two very important people on my mind as we enter this holiday season, and instead of being sad, I'm trying very hard to be thankful for the time shared.

The first is my grandmother.  Mary Anne Bresnahan died two years ago almost to the day as I write this.

I realize now that I didn't even blog about her when she died.  I think it was too emotional to even write about at the time.  Now two years later, it's still sad.

The funny thing is, she totally planned her death.  If you knew my grandmother, you know it made so much sense.

The woman loved holidays.  Growing up, we spent every holiday together as one big family; Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Birthday's were also a big family celebration as well.  It was all my grandma who made sure it happened.

By her dying when she did, she made sure the entire family spent Thanksgiving together in Chicago.  It was pretty amazing - brought back so many childhood memories and makes me so very grateful for all the time we were able to be together.

My grandma used to work at Marshall Field's on State Street in Chicago.  When I was little, I remember her taking us downtown to eat lunch in the Walnut Room near the big Christmas tree.  She would take us to see the decorated Christmas windows while we ate Frango mints.

November_2011_198
I do blame her for my obsession with Christmas in general.  Each year of my life, I got a Christmas ornament.  When I had children, I stopped getting them and my children got them instead.  She died right before Christmas, but had already bought my boys their Christmas ornaments for that year. 

It's because of her that all of us "Bresnahan" girls have a shrine to Marshall Field's somewhere in their home.  It's because of her I have multiple Christmas trees.  It's because of her that I love Uncle Mistletoe and Aunt Holly. It's because of her that the word "camp" makes me giggle - but that's another story for another time! ;)

November_2011_190
I miss you gram!

Gram-brendan-conor

Also on my mind, Scott Harris.  Now, he was the complete opposite - he could care less about the holidays.  But he would always offer to work so other people could enjoy them with their families.  Not a day goes by that he doesn't cross my mind.

I keep thinking I can pick up the phone - and then I remember, I can't.  It still doesn't seem real.

No comments: